Hiring Work & Travel Staff FAQ’s

The J1 SWT Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to the participants of a Summer Work/Travel program which welcomes international students to work in the US during their summer months, learning about our country and promoting cultural exchange. This visa enables the students to enter the USA and work for up to 4 months maximum during their summer vacations, and then travel for an additional 30 days, depending on their school schedule.
No. Federal regulations permit the employment of international students on J-1 visas within certain limits. These visas also allow students to work in jobs related to their major field of study
No. The only cost to the employer hiring international students is the time and effort to interview and select the best candidate for the job. In fact, a company may save money by hiring international students because the majority of them are exempt from Social Security (FICA) and Medicare tax requirements. ACAWE handles the DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility and provides guidance on applying for a Social Security card for the J-1 students.
Students with a J-1 visa are usually eligible to work up to 4 months during their summer break from university. The Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) will evaluate each student’s situation to determine the length of time for which they are eligible to work. The dates you can be on the program vary from country to country.
No. International students must have a receipt that they have applied for a Social Security number prior to commencing employment but they do not need to have the number. For further information, you may visit the Social Security website at www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm
J-1 students receive a Form DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility which is issued by the RO or ARO of ACAWE. The form is a US Department of State form and is clearly marked with ‘CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY FOR EXCHANGE VISITOR (J-1) STATUS’. ACAWE can assist all employers with any questions regarding a participant’s eligibility.
No. American employers are not required to document that a citizen of another country did not take a job from a qualified American if that person is working under a J-1. Employers must document that they did not turn down a qualified American applicant for the position only when they wish to hire foreign citizens on a permanent basis and sponsor them for a permanent resident status (“green card”).

Click below to Hire Staff Now